This gorgeous and comprehensive monograph published by
P22 Typefoundry on Independent Project Records & Press
is now available!
To order please click here.
Savage Impressions: An Aesthetic Expedition Through The Archives of Independent Project Records & Press
A 240-page hardcover book published by P22 Type Foundry.
Standard Edition list price $79.95
Deluxe edition is sold out, sorry.
This book is the first extensive monograph on Bruce Licher's Independent Project Records and Independent Project Press. With the current explosion of interest in letterpress, many are looking to see how new work can be influenced by the past. Active since 1982, Bruce Licher’s Independent Project Press is a contemporary studio that has bridged technological eras and produced an unparalleled body of work. It has culled from the past while simultaneously turning it on its head with a distinct visual vocabulary that continues to influence current aesthetics. For the first time, a comprehensive overview of Independent Project Records and Independent Project Press is being compiled into a monograph published by P22 Type Foundry, produced in a quality that displays the limited edition, hand-made work of IPP in over 200 pages of full color, from mechanical process work (for clients such as REM, Stereolab, and Camper Van Beethoven) to finished works of art with insights into the creative process along the way. The text will include an essay by Karen Nielsen Licher as well as material from Rudy Vanderlans’s Emigre magazine that featured the work of IPR&P. Co-designed by Bruce Licher and Jim Greishaber at P22, Savage Impressions is a 12” x 12” hardcover book that displays in full color the diverse range of art and design produced by Independent Project Records & Press. This first printing is an edition of 1000 copies, with 350 of those being a limited Deluxe Edition that includes a 12” vinyl record and other letterpress-printed ephemera (see below for a complete list of the items included in the Deluxe Edition). This book is a profound reminder of the value of the hand-made and how it can interface with the mass produced. It will stand as a major documentation of one of the most influential letterpress studios currently in existence.
The Deluxe Edition is the same book as the regular with the addition of:
• 12” gold vinyl record titled Tape Excavation consisting of previously unreleased recordings spanning Bruce Licher’s recording career (1980-2019).
• Special letterpress-printed stamp sheet tipped into the book .
• Perforated chipboard letterpress bookplate tipped in, signed and numbered by Bruce Licher.
• Letterpress wrap sleeve to hold the book and record together as a set.
The Tape Excavation LP includes tracks ranging from an unreleased improvisation recorded during the Project 197 sessions in 1980 to a recent rehearsal recording from Bruce & Karen Licher's current group SR2, which was recorded in the Independent Project Press print shop in Spring of 2019. A standalone black vinyl edition of the Tape Excavation LP pressed in an edition of 200 copies is currently available for purchase. Click the link below to order.
The Track listings:
1. PROJECT 197 - The Out Sound (unreleased studio out-take, 1980)
2. BRIDGE - Bridge (UCLA parking garage reel-to-reel 4-track recording, 1981)
3. FINAL REPUBLIC - Chase (Theodorakis song, garage rehearsal from 1982)
4. FINAL REPUBLIC - The Unknown (garage rehearsal experiment, 1982)
5. SAVAGE REPUBLIC - First Siege (1983 Rough Trade demo)
6. SAVAGE REPUBLIC - Assembly of The Dead (1983 Rough Trade demo)
7. LEMON WEDGES - Untitled (mid-90’s home rehearsal - Karen & Bruce)
8. BRUCE LICHER - Cedar (Scenic demo circa 1997)
9. BRUCE LICHER - Tundra (Scenic demo circa 1997)
1. SCENIC - Theme For Better Times (late 90’s rehearsal demo)
2. LANTERNA w/BRUCE LICHER - B Minor (recorded live in Sedona, 2004)
3. RANK - Advancement (version) (film soundtrack session with Michael Krassner recorded at The Ice House, Phoenix, AZ mid-2000’s)
4. BRUCE LICHER - Birthdaysong (7x7 is) (home demo circa 2007)
5. SR2 - The Great Escape (rehearsal demo, April 2019)
To order please click here.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ESTIMATED SHIPPING COSTS FOR INTERNATIONAL ORDERS WILL BE APPROXIMATELY $55.00 FOR CANADA, AND BETWEEN $70.00-$80.00 FOR THE REST OF THE WORLD. THIS AMOUNT WILL NOT APPEAR IN THE PAYPAL CHECKOUT, AND WE WILL HAVE TO SEND YOU A SEPARATE PAYPAL INVOICE FOR ANY ADDITIONAL SHIPPING COSTS IF YOU ARE ORDERING THIS ITEM FROM OUTSIDE THE USA. WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE COST, BUT THIS IS A HEAVY OBJECT, AND INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING RATES FROM THE USA ARE NOT VERY REASONABLE THESE DAYS. WE APPRECIATE YOUR UNDERSTANDING.